You may think that this is a little silly. Yes, it may be, but please read on... We think that these are interesting ideas:
TOP 10 REASONS TO BUY ORIGINAL ARTWORKS FROM CONTEMPORARY ARTISTS:
1. Because you will own something not only beautiful, but also absolutely unique. No one else in the world has it!
2. Because art is eternal, and best expresses human emotions
3. Because it is more than time for another renaissance in the arts
4. Because there is no better way to encourage a talented artist
5. Because it is a shame that most of the best artists are ignored in their lifetime *
6. Because an original artwork is something that you can cherish and enjoy forever, and your children and grand-children after you
7. Because some of the best painters of all times may be alive today
8. Because this could be an incredibly good investment**
9. Because this is the perfect present for someone who already has everything
10. Because prints are definitely not the same!
* For further reading
on this topic, see "Genius
Ignored" by Lucius Furius
** What if your
great-great-grandfather had bought a Van Gogh? (
** What if your great-great-grandfather had bought a Van Gogh? (Investment)
NOTE: If you really can't afford a painting, there are other ways to show your appreciation to artists. For example, you can purchase a drawing. These are usually cheaper than paintings, and can look wonderful once framed. At least, tell these artists how viewing their work has made your life a little better. Kind words cost you nothing, and artists need encouragement more than anything else!
Here is another article on the topic of buying art:
"Ten things to remember when starting an art collection" (http://art-collecting.com/article1.htm)